Maintain hvac performance
Have preventative maintenance service performed bi-annually. Which is like having an annual physical on the furnace and air conditioner. Most companies offer an annual contract and will come to your home 2 times (once in spring for ale and again in autumn for furnace). Or, D.I.Y. as follows:
• Clean your outdoor unit (condenser coil) seasonally. Remove any debris lodged inside or around such as dead leaves, small twigs and ant mounds. Using gentle spray of water hose. Be sure that your outdoor unit is turned off before attempting to clean.
• Clean the indoor unit (evaporator coil and blower wheel) seasonally, including the coil/base pan. Thoroughly wash this pan and remove debris from drain passages and valve. Vacuum loose dry debris or lint. Be sure to allow all components to air dry completely to eliminate mole potential.
• Did you know that not changing a filter regularly can and will compromise your HVAC system. Like your auto, you have your oil and filter changed every 3000 miles or so. If you do not perform this general maintenance, your engine will fail. Well the same applies with your HVAC system. It operates on the same principle.
• Perform a quarterly filter change at the very least. However, it is technically recommended to changed or cleaned filters monthly. You especially want to increase your frequency if you have carpeting, indoor pets, problems with excessive dust and respiratory problems.
• When you change your filter, remove any freely moving lint-like debris in the housing. Which is similar to pulling out the dryer filter from your home dryer and removing lint from and around filter.
• Did you know that the same filter is used for both the heat and air season?
• Check all connections, cords and receptacles and secure electrical connections. Firmly close all unit doors.